Urban Legends in Japan
3. Otoshidama (the money gifted to children during New Year) should use freshly-printed money or else you are cursing that child to have a short life.
4. Giving an even amount of money at a wedding is bad luck and will result in the couple divorcing.
5. Stepping on the cloth borders of tatami mats brings bad luck.
6. Doors should not be left open or have a gap as it invites ghosts.
7. If there is a knock on your door (especially in Aomori Prefecture), it could be the Amazake-baba. Stories say she is an old witch who lives in the mountains, but will venture to nearby homes in quest for sake. Her appearance is frightening with blood-smeared skin and unkept hair, but the real horror lies in what she will do to you and your family if you don’t give her what she wants. However, she will leave you in peace if you give her sake.